Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Chicken feet 2

Does life ever get away from anyone else? Sometimes I feel like everything flies by and my feet aren't really on the ground. I used to feel unbelievably stressed when this happened, but I'm doing ok this time. I know things will come back into balance.

My birthday was August 27th and lots of people made sure that my first birthday in Bangkok was very special. People at school said a special prayer for me in our Thai morning devotional. Many of my church friends and a few of my school friends came to my birthday party that night. Not only that, but I've realized that Thai people believe strongly in giving gifts. I got gifts every day the week of my birthday from people who could not come to my party. I was so surprised. All in all, it was a birthday I'll never forget.

The semester is winding down at school, but it's the busiest time of the year. We are giving our final examinations for the next two weeks and then writing student reports for a week after that. These are not short reports either. I get to write several sentences about each student, as well as comment on 8 specific areas of their language abilities. Good times:)

If you ever get the chance to eat bananas in a place where they are actually grown, you need to do it. It will change your view of bananas forever. I had eaten several varieties of grilled and fried bananas, but I finally ate a plain banana a few weeks ago. I'm addicted. Bananas here are sweet and almost juicy. The flavor is amazing.

And chicken feet 2...
One of my Thai friends had chicken feet this morning for breakfast and offered some to me. Being the person I am, I tried them. I was pleasantly surprised. The consistency is really strange, but the spices his mother used to cook them made them taste delicious. Chan chop teen gai nit noy (I like chicken feet a little bit).

Chan chob Krungtep mach mach. (I like Bangkok very much).

1 comment:

Judith said...

Emily, Finally, I got your blog to come up. I don't know a lot about cyberspace stuff, but am learning.

God bless you for the work you're doing there. How long have you been teaching there?

I am in Colorado, and met you at Valley View church.

Bananas are great in banana bread, but I don't think I could get chicken feet down. If I could, would send you some KFC strips.

Love and God bless the Christian caring you're sharing there.