Tuesday, May 1, 2007

One week down, lots more to go!

The first few days in Thailand were difficult. I realized that I am really living here for an entire year. It's also very different to be here without any other Americans. Because of the 2 year gap since my last trip, I felt like I had to get reaquainted with my roommates. I am very comfortable opening up to them now, but it was hard at first.

I've already seen some strange things and experienced some different things as well. I'll try to keep it brief by putting them in categories.

Strange sights:Blue, red, and yellow rice! (pictures to follow)Salad with mayonnaise for salad dressing(in the US, some mayo jars have "salad dressing" as a subtitle to Mayonnaise. They take it literally here)"Mexican" steak--chicken, pork, fish or beef steak with a green chile looking substance--but it's not green chile!

Different experience:Riding in a bus that is the back of a pickup truck--it has a roof over the passengers in case it rains.

I was able to visit Bangkok Christian College and sign my contract. There's no turning back now:)I will be teaching 4 sections of 5th grade and 1 section of 4th grade. Meetings and orientation start tomorrow. I'm glad to start having a regular schedule.

On Saturday, I went with my roommates to a cell group that meets across town. There is one new believer and 2 nonbelievers in the group, as well as several Christians. I am learning a lot about ministering to nonbelievers from my roommates.

Sunday was a busy day. I attended two different churches--one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I got to see lots of old friends at the church in the afternoon. I will probably not be able to attend both every week. Please pray for direction about which church I should get involved with. I got to go to Starbucks with my Filipino friends after church!

Praise Report: I have American friends here! I met a female American missionary on Sunday night. Also, a guy from Colorado that I went to college with will be teaching at my school. He is coming in 2 1/2 weeks.

Prayer Requests:Affordable housing for my roommates and meDirection about ministry and other involvements outside of work
Delete

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Yeah Emily! I am glad to hear you are meeting some of your old friends and making some new ones. You are in my thoughts and prayers!
I love you!