Monday, May 7, 2007

The Beach and Starting My Job

This week has been more structured in that I started working, but work has felt very unstructured. We had several meetings during the first few days and we were supposed to start planning our lessons and decorating our classrooms. As a brand new teacher, I am not very clear about what to do about lessons and decorating, but I know that God is in control and He will help me ease into it. Several of the teachers in my department are new this year and we are all learning together.

One of my co-teachers is a Christian and another Christian teacher from Lee University is coming soon. I know that there are other Christians in other departments, but there are very few in my department. I am also one of 5 women in my department. I am really praying for my fellow teachers and asking the Lord to guide me in building relationships with them. I believe God has me in this school for a reason.

Friday was a special service with 4 other Christian schools. One of the best things about the service was a children's group playing a Thai instrument called an ankalung. It was like a human xylophone! Each child held two ankalungs. The ankalung has two wooden pipes with a 6 inch space between them. Part of the side of each pipe is carved out and the children shook their instruments to produce a sound. For any music lovers out there, the program was similar to a handbell choir. They played hymns that I recognized. It was great! The meal and entertainment after the service were very different...my co-teachers and I were not sure what was going on.

I got to go to the beach on Saturday with my churchmates (as my Filipino friends would say)! We played in the ocean at Rayong Beach and saw an elephant. I payed about 75 cents to feed it.

Interesting food:
Adidas (pronounced just like the sports brand name): chicken feet boiled with garlic, sugar, oyster sauce, etc. Not too bad--once I got over the fact that it was chicken feet:)
Banana hearts: The flower of banana trees that will eventually become bananas. They are cut off when they are young cooked with spices and eaten as a vegetable --it was spicy but tasted very good!
(both cooked by my Filipino friends)

After eating lunch at Rayong Beach, we went to a fruit farm. We had lots tropical fruit. Arroy mach ma (very delicious in Thai). Some of the types of fruit were: durian, dragonfruit, jackfruit, mango, rambutan, mangosteen (my favorite), pomelo, pinapple, guava, papaya, and grapes (not tropical, I know). Spending the day with my churchmates was wonderful. I am really glad that I am here.

6 comments:

JessF said...

Hey Em,
this is Jess, who went with you last time. That is so cool what you are doing. I'm sure you'll learn a lot about lesson plans and decorations this year. I think God has you there two, but even so, that doesn't mean it will always be easy, but He will use you and bring you through.

Oh, tell anyone I know that I got my family to try Durian, Jack fruit, Rambutan, and Lychee fresh (or at least frozen and then thawed fresh from Asia). (Lychee may have been grown in FL). They really liked it!!!

Oh and I emailed our old neighbors from PP House. They are back in Canada now, but they might be visiting there soon... you should email them and see if you guys could meet up... I mean if you want to. Anyway, I hope you're doing well. luv ya!
Jess

Beloved Meadow said...

Hey Emily!
It's so crazy that you actually went to Thailand. Funny how sometimes you just know what you're supposed to do from an early age. I don't know why God does that for some and not others. I don't know if Mom told you before you left, or if she even knew, but I'm (as long as all my money comes in) going to be teaching in Bahrain for two years as a high school English teacher. Who woulda guessed? Not me. Anyway, I'll keep checkin' back here to see how you're doing. I love you!!!
Blessings,
Amy Leigh

cararogers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cararogers said...

Emily:

I posted something short in case it didnt go through. Hi! I am so glad to hear you are well in Thailand! You are a very brave lady!

I hope you continue to adjust well and that the Lord brings people in to your life 1) for you to minister to and 2) to encourage you and befriend you.

I think of you much more often than I write, and you'll be in my prayers.

Take care~ Cara Rogers

Ian said...

It's great to hear that you're happy in Thailand, Emily. It took me a while to adjust when I moved to a new state. I can't imagine what it'd be like to adjust to a new country. I know the Lord is going to use you in great ways while you're there. I'm looking forward to hearing about how classes are going.

Talk to you later,

Ian

Beth Hernandez said...

Dear Emily,
This is my first blog! I am so happy to hear you are plugging along and eating Banana flowers and chicken feet!
Keep asking those other teachers for their teaching "tricks" that work with the kids. Take what works and leave the rest. All my love to you! Beth