Sunday, December 12, 2010

Time Flies!





I can't believe it's almost Christmas! Time has flown by so quickly! So much has happened...I feel like I'm really Thai now...I've seen one of the Thai princesses and I've gone to 2 Thai military bases. Our school dedicated a new building on October 29th and the King's oldest daughter came. She did the ever-important "ribbon-cutting," but in our case she pushed a button that opened some curtains to reveal the sign on the new building. This was a major event for my school. I don't have any pictures because we weren't allowed to take any during the ceremony, but it was truly an august occasion!


I went to a camp in Sakeow (northeastern Thailand near the Cambodian border)in October and we stayed on a military base. Many of our 9th grade students went through basic military training, learned about wilderness survival, learned how to grow rice and mushrooms, and shot M-16s. Six native-English speaking teachers (including me) got to go along and hold an English camp for kids on the military base. We had a great time teaching the kids there. One of the highlights of the trip was going to the shooting range and learning to shoot M-16s. I got two bulls-eyes! We also got our faces painted with camouflage face paint and ate all of the wilderness survival food. Most of it was very good, but I drew the line at grilled frogs and eels!

I went to another military base last weekend at the end of a "Little Cowboy Camp." It was fun to see 5th and 6th grade students dressed up in western clothes watching a cowboy show and roasting marshmallows, hot dogs, and Thai pork balls over the fire. It was an English camp and I went along to help with some of the activities. On the last day, the students got to ride horses and ride on the tanks on a military base.


The equivalent of "Christmas break" in the US takes place in October in Thailand. We took advantage of the time off to hold a three day vacation Bible school for kids in my church's neighborhood. We called it "Kids of the Kingdom" and taught about Saul, David and Solomon. I was in charge of the crafts. My favorite craft was making Solomon's temple out of homemade play dough. Most of the kids crafted their play dough into shapes similar to the picture I showed them, but one made a medieval castle. All in all, I am glad that some new children came and we strengthened our relationships with our regular attenders.

I had the opportunity to reflect on all the blessings the Lord has given me in November. Asian Christians know that we celebrate Thanksgiving in the US and many like to take the same opportunity to thank God for all He has done in their lives. My school has a student church every Thursday and I got to share about Thanksgiving traditions as well as a short sermon on gratitude on Thanksgiving day.

Additionally, I'm very grateful for good friends here. Some of my co-workers and I had a Thanksgiving celebration on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It wasn't traditional, but it was sooo delicious. One of my South African friends made lamb stew and duck l'orange in addition to the mashed potatoes and stuffing that some of us brought. We had apple pie and pumpkin mousse to top off the meal!

God has given me so much to be thankful for--eternal life, purpose, a loving community, a great job, and so much more!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Emily
From Lorraine, Juli, Hannah and Gabe in Colorado. It was great to read your new blog. We moved back to Colo Spgs in July of 2008, and have always loved it here. Gabe is in 4th grade now, and quite a sportsman. He loves basketball especially, and usually makes some baskets for his team. Hannah has loooong red hair, and is in 8th grade this year. Juli and I have started a popcorn business. We pop organic popcorn in extra virgin olive oil and sunflower oil, and put sea salt on it. We're in several stores now. It keeps us real busy! We have a Cross and a Star of David on the back label, and we call it Papa Hill's, "World's Blest Popcorn."

We keep you in prayer, it would be nice to see you. God bless you, dear friend.

Love,
Lorraine, Juli, Hannah and Gabe