Monday, July 23, 2007

The not-so-Thai side of life

Ok, so about half of my foreign co-workers are British or Australian and Thailand largely uses British English. This being the case, I learn new vocabulary quite frequently. Did you know that it is correct to say "do maths" rather than "do math"? They say "maths" because it is short for "mathematics." I no longer ride the elevator. Instead, I take the "lift." Oh, and for my students to understand me, I have to tell them to put their "rubbish" in the "bin" (not trash in the trash can).

My latest crazy food experience was Cambodian escargot, as a Thai teacher called it. It was so spicy that I could not taste anything and I tried not to think about the texture or the fact that I was actually eating snails:) Not too bad for a one-time experience, but it's not something I plan to repeat soon.

The highlight of the week was seeing friends from Lee University. Three girls from my major, Intercultural Studies, were on their way back from their internship in Siem Reap, Cambodia. They had a couple of days in Thailand and my friend Eric and I got to spend an evening with them. It was nice to talk about Lee and the ups and downs of living in another country.

For my dad's sake (for those of you who don't know, he's in the cattle business), I'll mention that I got to eat steak last weekend. One of the Christian teachers invited me to her home for a gathering of friends from her church. All of them have students at BCC and several of the guests spoke English. We had a mix of Thai and American food and I got to make the kanompang gratiem (garlic bread). Lots of fun!

1 comment:

Jim Jackson said...

Hi Emily
I love reading your posts. You have a fantastic sense of humor. I can't imagine sleeping in pollyester sheets with such heat. Colorado is hot, 98 for a high today, but nothing compared to Thailand. Please keep cool!

I start to worry for you every once in a wile but I force myself to pray for you instead. A prayr that the lord prepares every situation before you even arrive, That any barrier between you and God be broken so that you can hear that "small still voice" clear as a bell, every time all the time.

Thank You for the pleasure of well written, real life, adventure stories!

Jim